Sunday, August 10, 2008

My First Ultralight Flight - December 2007

It is the first part of December and I am doing some mindless department store Christmas shopping. My cell phone rings which is odd since I have only given my number out to less than a handful of people. I hate the things, especially mine. I opted for the free phone that came with my package (fiscally prudent thing to do I tell myself) and I can barely hit the numbers in sequence on the keypad because they are so close together.

It is the Challenger dealer and he is recommending that we go for a flight the next morning. The weather looks great. He recommends that I wear something really warm as he is unsure if his mechanic has installed his heater in the Challenger. I agree and we arrange to meet close to the airstrip at a Maritime watering hole – Tim Hortons.

After meeting, we drive to the Stanley Airport where his plane is hangered. It is a beautiful drive in the country and I see a pheasant. We get to the airport which is basically a building, several hangars and several travel trailers around and a grass strip. The rep goes through the pre flight plan check and we taxi the plane to the strip.

I have to admit, the cabin compartment is much smaller than I thought it would be. I am seated behind the pilot and my legs are very cramped. I think there is no chance that I will ever get my husband in this. The heater is not installed and the cabin is very cold. We remain in the air approximately 30 minutes and it is a beautiful, clear day. However, I am climate challenged by the Challenger.

After the flight, I came to the conclusion that this Ultralight was not for me. I can definitely see its appeal but I need something a little larger and a plane that can handle a little more weather variability. A strong heater is also added to my must have list!

No comments: