Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Negotiation - February 2008

I do consider myself to be a good negotiator. However, when you are ill informed you are quite disadvantaged. I already knew that the Aventura seemed to be a good value based on the comparables at the Air Show and other searches I had done but I wasn’t sure how much room there was for financial maneuvering with the manufacturer of the Aventura. Bob seemed to have integrity, a love for flying and I wasn’t sure about his business acumen. I soon found out.

Bob had a spreadsheet of the costs of the plane and options. What quickly became apparent was some of what I consider to be a basic appendage of the airplane was an option. A heater was an option because in the warmer climate, most people don’t have a need for a heater. To upgrade from what looked like bicycle tires was an option. The list went on, however, when we got to the roof and it being an option I couldn’t contain myself. However, once again, Bob explained to me that in the warmer Southern climates, some people don’t like to have roofs on their planes. What I have since learned is this is the norm for the light aircraft industry. You may look at a kit plane that appears to be reasonable and affordable, but as you start adding luxury items like a heater and roof – look out. It is what it is.

We got to the bottom line and Bob gave me some flexibility with the electronic options. He explained that if I could find the electronics cheaper elsewhere, he would either match the price or I could buy them from another supplier. This seemed fair. He explained that there is not as much margin built into the price as what I think and I agree to proceed with the purchase of an Aventura with a four to six month delivery date.

My must haves and other option necessities on the plane has pushed the price from a seems very reasonable to a reasonable price. Hooray for the strong loonie!

No comments: