Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Day of the Trip to Orlando

On the departure day of a trip my household is on high alert. Stress levels are elevated and so are emotions. Throw in some sleep deprivation and you have quite a cocktail. Usually before a trip, my husband and I work about 60 to 70 hours a week before the trip so that we have our businesses in good order before we leave. Needless to say, we are generally pretty tired. This time was no exception. Although I was making an effort to get a minimum of eight hours of sleep a night during the previous week, the numerous days of trying to cram a 28 hour day into a 24 hour day has caught up with me. Also, the call at 12:35 a.m. did not help.

Any way, it is a busy morning gathering the last minute details and answering calls from people who are telling me to be careful and not to fly in bad weather. I did get a great call from my Mother. My Mother has dementia. In earlier years, whenever I was preparing for an exam, I would always call my Mother with the usual - I am going to flunk - and my Mom would say no you are not, you always do well. I would say it is different this time and she would assure me that it wasn’t. She would also ask me why I couldn’t be more like my twin sisters. She would say, they partied and had a good time in university, you didn’t see them worrying about getting "A"s and they did alright. Indeed they did. My Mom hasn’t had the faculties to call me before a big life event in several years. But this morning she called to say that I could do it, that I should be confident, I can do anything that I set my mind to. It sounded like my old Mom. A few minutes later my sister called to ask me when I would be arriving in Fredericton with my small bird because Mom had told her I would be there tomorrow. Well, my conversation with my Mom was good even if her cognizance didn’t last long.

I am surprised by the number of people that call and say they are going to pray for me. What is the biggie? Do they pray for me daily when I drive to work with husband? This happens to be the most stressful part of my day and I am stock broker. On the drive out to the airport, I tried to understand the big deal? What I am doing is normal; people fly small aircraft all the time. Don’t they?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah ... emotions run high in our household, too, on the day that we travel. Even with the best planning, we normally end up snipping and arguing until the flight takes off. However,once you are in the air, it doesn't matter if anyone forgot to pack the toothbrushes or underwear ... it is done! Love your story!!!