Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Crash - May 2008

I was attending a Rotary dinner with a friend and her boyfriend. They and the others at the table were very interested to hear about my plane adventures. I told them about my ground school course, the instructor, and my new plane. When I arrived home later that evening my husband asked if I had heard that an ultra light had crashed.

The next day at work I was busy fielding calls from friends and business associates about the ultra light crash. I am not sure why people identify an ultra light crash with me and feel compelled to extend themselves verbally. Later in the morning, the friend that I attended the Rotary dinner with the previous evening called and asked if it was my instructor that crashed. I didn’t know who crashed the plane so she read the article that was in the newspaper and the name of the individual that crashed. It was my instructor! I called my husband to inform him. Probably not the wisest thing to do. It was a Friday, and that evening, cocktail discussion was a bit livelier than usual with many people assuming that the crash would be the catalyst for me changing my mind about flying and the individual that was instructing me. I hadn’t.

I had called my instructor – he was okay but quite shook up and suffering from whip lash. The good news was he followed all the proper procedures which helped to save his life. I am reassured that the textbook theory works. However, my instructor informs me that ground school is terminated. I am in a pickle.

I decided to give the instructor a few days to digest his trauma. I was thinking that he may still have been in shock when I spoke to him last. I called him several days later to see how he was and if he had changed his mind about ground school - he had. My instructor decided to fulfill his ground school commitment to me. However, he said he would need longer breaks throughout our session. More than reasonable I thought and quite honorable of him given his situation. I am back on track.

2 comments:

Albert said...

Following your adventure with Aviatrix flying back to Canada!

Anonymous said...

I'm also following your adventures via Aviatrix as well... the more I fly a 172 for the fun of it, the more I think that the low, slow and partially open cockpit that an ultralight like yours provides is the way to go.