Monday, September 1, 2008

The Search for a Flight School – March 2008

It is starting to sink in that I bought a plane. Somehow the realization eluded me until I instructed my assistant to wire my deposit to the manufacturer. There is something about your hard earned savings retreating from your brokerage account that snaps you into reality. I bought a plane – now I have to figure out how to fly the thing!

I had a lead on one instructor and after playing telephone tag for a month and then realizing that he didn’t have a plane to instruct from, I determined my clock was ticking and I better move into high gear and find another instructor. I called the two flight schools located within 150 kilometres of my home. Both of the schools indicated that they didn’t have a program for an ultra light license. I called Transport Canada who gave me the names and phone number of instructors within 150 kilometre radius of my home. Three of the numbers were either disconnected or wrong. One of the numbers was the individual without a plane who I contacted previously. I tried the last instructor. Success, his number rang and he answered the phone.

After a lengthy chat with my soon to be instructor on the requirements to get a basic ultra light license, we agree to start my ground school training in a week’s time. I ordered the books and when they arrived I started reading, highlighting, and preparing a bank of questions for the instructor. Some people may use the word retentive as part of their description of me. I like to think of myself as an enthusiastic learner. I have found an instructor, let the learning begin!

2 comments:

Colin said...

An excellent blog with some great flying stories. I am jealous of your amphibian. I added you to my (short) blogroll (list of links).

Anonymous said...

Wow, how exciting! I am looking forward to reading about your adventures with the new plane.