Saturday, September 13, 2008

Finding a Ferry Pilot – Part 2

Given the limitations of my insurance policy for my ultra light regarding instruction, I have to find a Canadian Flight Instructor or a Commercial Pilot. I would like to log some of the hours from my flight from Florida to Nova Scotia for my ultra pilots license, therefore, my first choice is to find a Canadian Flight Instructor, however, I can’t be too choosey at this point.

I had asked my instructor if he could help me bring my bird home from Florida and he relayed that he had some passport issues. No need to elaborate. I started to search the internet for ferry pilots. This is how I came in contact with my ferry pilot “Aviatrix”. I sent an e-mail to Aviatrix and she quickly responded. We corresponded back and forth and I got a sense that she was a very detailed person and seemed very enthusiastic about the journey from Florida to Nova Scotia in my little bird. Following is some of our correspondence…


Sorry to be so long getting back to you. I have been working through some Transport Canada red tape. I have some answers for you but I am still working on others. lite flyer
Questions ... is it brand new, or how many hours has it flown? Aviatrix
Brand new plane lite flyer
Is it insured to Canadian requirements and Canadian registered?
It will be registered in Canada
Is it registered as an ultra light or an experimental airplane?
I am working on getting the plane classified as an advanced ultra light vs. a basic ultra light so that I can carry passengers
Have you already talked with Transport Canada about the import paperwork? (I've had to take an airplane BACK to the states for someone who discovered he wasn't allowed to import it, so that's definitely something to know!)
I am speaking with them almost on a daily basis - I will get it resolved soon I hope
I don't see a transponder in the picture: there's a lot of complex airspace up the coast and technically you're supposed to have one for the border crossing.
Still working on this
Do you have the long range tanks?
18 gallon tank
Have you done route planning for that already?
no
You've flown it already and know it will pass the preflight to your satisfaction when you arrive in Orlando?
I will be picking it up at the manufacturer & they will do the preflight inspection
Do you have an idea what its (or your personal, which ever is less) limits for wind and turbulence should be?
What engine does it have?
912 Rotax 100 hp
Does it take AVGAS or MOGAS?
autogas

I can’t believe my luck – have I found someone as retentive and enthusiastic as me? Sorry Aviatrix, it is meant as a complement.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"...retentive and enthusiastic..."

I've always called her passionate.