Monday, September 8, 2008

The Hangar Space Dilemma

I have purchased the plane and am expecting to have it in Nova Scotia sometime near the first of August. I now have to find a place to store the plane. I had looked at the brochures that have been coming in the mail for prefab buildings, however, after investing in the plane I think an additional outlay of capital for the purchase of a hangar is out of the question.

I have two leads on a hangar space. The first lead was an individual that has his own private airstrip. It sounded great as his strip is located only twenty five minutes from my house. I contacted him to determine if he rented hangar space. He didn’t but said I could build a hangar on his site if I wished. I thought it was a very generous offer but I did not want to sink more capital into my recreational activity. Also, his grandsons ploughed the runway in the winter but not on a regular basis. Providing the heater option that I bought for my plane works, I plan to fly in the winter months.

The second lead was a flying club located about 45 minutes from my house. My instructor thought this location would be the best choice to hangar my plane because there would be others around who may be able to lend me some support. Also, their grass strip was in good shape. I contacted the airport manager who promptly e-mailed me back and informed me that he may have something available in June – this may all come together!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is "hangar" vs. "hanger" a US English vs. Canadian English spelling variation, or is the "e" just a typo?

(reading here by Aviatrix's recommendation)

Anonymous said...

It's definitely "hangar" in British English, not that you'd know it from the number of times it's misspelt (or misspelled, if you prefer).

Aviatrix said...

Hangar is a place you store airplanes. Hanger is a place you store your coat.