Monday, September 22, 2008

The Paperwork – Winter, Spring and Summer 2008

As it turns out, there is more to buying a plane than just wiring the manufacturer the dough for the bird. I determined that there are three things that I need to make happen before I bring my plane from the U.S. to Canada. If I can accomplish these three things, the importation of my plane should be seamless.

I would like the registration marks on my plane to be personalized. I do not have a vanity plate on my car but I do have a vanity plate for my scooter and I would like personalized registration marks for my plane. I spoke to a representative at Transport Canada and am informed that it can take up to six weeks to reserve registration marks and the cost is $110. However, after speaking with the representative on the phone for a few minutes, she confirms that the marking that I would like is available and reserves it for me.

Then there is the matter of registration of the plane. I am registering the plane in Canada and fortunate for me, the registration is done by the same helpful person that looked after my vanity markings. She informs me that I am going to need the following to register my plane;

  • Minimum Useful Load Calculation
  • Copy of the data plate - the data plate must include the name of the manufacturer, the model, the serial number
  • Bill of sale
  • A letter from the FAA indicating the plane is not on the American register nor has it ever been registered in the US
  • Registration Application Form

These forms are going to require the assistance of the manufacturer. Also, I am not sure how willing he is going to be to complete the Bill of Sale when I have not fully paid for the plane. I gave the manufacturer a call and explained that I would like to have the plane registered before my journey with the plane from Florida to Canada and this will require a Bill of Sale. He was very helpful and said he would complete the Bill of Sale and did not have a problem doing this because if I don’t pay for the plane in full before I take delivery, he is not going to give me the keys. Fair enough.


The last piece of paperwork that I need to have organized is the importation paperwork for the plane. I called Canada Border Services and they directed me to another number and after an hour later I am redirected to the initial number that I called. Well, enough of this for one day. I have left myself lots of time and I will give a fresh start to this effort again in the morning.


The next day, after play ring around the phone rosy - again, I am starting to lose my patience. However, it is not until one inspector hangs up on me that I get really steamed. I called back and asked for the Superintendent. I got his voicemail and he called me back promptly and I explained what I was trying accomplish. He said he didn’t know the exact paperwork required for importation of a recreational aircraft but he would find out and get back to me and so he did. He put me in contact with the inspector in Fredericton who would most likely being clearing my aircraft. I spoke to Inspector “I” who informed me that I will need;

  • Bill of Sale
  • Certificate of Origin
  • B15

She emphasized that I call Canpass no earlier than two days in advance of entry into Canada and call again before entry to confirm my ETA. She also said it is necessary that I explain to Canpass that I am doing a Personal Importation and flying VFR. Inspector “I” works Monday to Friday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. She has a very good understanding of the requirements of importation and seems very competent. I am going to do my best to land in Fredericton when she is working because I think if I have complied with her instructions, the importation should be seamless.


All of this seems easy and hey, it might be for the next plane I bring into Canada, but this took a lot of time and required several calls and misinformation before I got to the right people who could help me. I am glad that I left myself several months to work through the process.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. I know many of Aviatrix's regular readers are waiting to read about your version of the "adventure".

Aviatrix said...

And I'm very glad that she is telling the whole adventure, because people have to realize the extent of the iceberg underneath the actual flying. They asy that an airplane won't fly until the weight of the paperwork equals the weight of the airplane. Why else do you think they insisted on the weight calculation in order to do the paperwork?

Albert said...

Regarding Aviatrix's comment, I can assume that a big deal of paperwork and calls involved in this adventure was due to having to import the airplane to Canada. Purchasing it in the same country would make it easier.

But I can understand that there is more than just flying... so it is a good reading for those of us who only fly as passangers or from our armchairs.

Callsign Echo said...

When you are caught in the red tape and run-around, it is always a pleasure to run into that one competent, friendly person who actually wants to help. I always try to hang onto that person for as long as possible, and only let them transfer me when I absolutely can't get them to do what I need done.

As the others said, I am really looking forward to the left-seat perspective of this flight.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!